Faces of Israel: Donny and Chavie Fuchs
- Where are you from in Israel and America (what state do you vote from)?
Donny was born and raised in Far Rockaway, New York. Chavie was born in Palo Alto, California, and also lived in Englewood, New Jersey.
- Why did you (or your parents) make aliyah?
Decided it was time to act on our dream and join the Jewish people in building the Jewish state. By the way, both sets of our parents have also made Aliya over the last few years.
- What do you do professionally in Israel? /when you were in the states?
Chavie works in digital advertising and Donny works at a high end- organic soap factory.
- When is the last time you voted? in an off year (non Presidential – like this year) election?
The last U.S. Presidential elections.
- What do you feel about the state of the US-Israel relationship?
We feel very strongly that Israel is too reliant on the US’s opinions, to the point where it makes Israel weaker. Israel must not buckle under any pressure from the US. All relationships must be contingent on a dignified two way relationship based on mutual interests.
- Why do you feel it is important to vote?
The state of affairs in America endangers both America and Israel. We have an opportunity to reward politicians who care about America and Israel.
- Do you celebrate July 4 in Israel?
We don’t celebrate July 4. While we appreciate and have hakarot hatov that America historically was a temporary haven for Jews, our lives are committed to the Jewish people’s destiny within Israel. Having said that, Donny recalls with much fondness those 4th of July barbecues where he consumed a dozen or so hot dogs.
- What is something you miss about the US?
We miss our family and friends in the states. It’s especially difficult missing smachot: births, weddings. Donny misses the large expanses of wilderness that he used to visit, as well as the majestic American black bear that he often saw in the northeastern woods.
- What is something that US should start doing that Israel does?
The US could learn a lot from Israel’s model of maternity care in hospitals, in particular the lower number of interventions and the much lower cesarean rate.
10.Do you feel that the “Arab Spring” is more of a threat to Israel/US/Both/Neither ?
The Arab Spring is ultimately a threat to every country that doesn’t stand up against evil.
11. What should the America be doing regarding Israel’s war with Hamas?
America should support Israel 100% or stay out of the way. As the bible states, those who bless Israel will be blessed, and those who do not, well you know…America must realise that from a logical and a biblical perspective, truly supporting Israel will only serve to benefit America.
12.What is your favorite Hebrew word?
Chavie: חביתה. Donny: צבוע